Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Possibly my favorite article on the polls

David Brooks from the NYTimes covers several of the questions and ideas that we've brought up in our class in his opinion piece titled Poll Addict Confesses

On predicting human behavior: "Most important, stuff happens. Obama turns in a bad debate performance. Romney makes offensive comments at a fund-raiser. These unquantifiable events change the trajectories of tight campaigns. You can’t tell what’s about to happen. You certainly can’t tell how 100 million people are going to process what’s about to happen. You can’t calculate odds that capture unknown reactions to unknown events."

We like the data: "I check every few hours. I’m motivated by the illusion of immanent knowledge. I imagine that somehow the next batch of polling will contain some magic cross-tab about swing voters in Ohio that will satisfy my voracious curiosity and allay this irritable uncertainty."

On status competitions: "When the polls swing your way, you feel a surge of righteous affirmation. Your views are obviously correct! Your team’s virtues are widely recognized! You get to see the humiliation and pain afflicting your foes. When the polls swing the other way, well, who believes the polls anyway? Those idiots are obviously skewing the results. This has been a golden age for confirmation bias."

Enjoy! I'm sure hoping I don't end up a poll addict! I think I'll do as David suggests and read them only once every few days.  #playingitsafewithpolls

No comments:

Post a Comment