Sunday, December 2, 2012

Somebody's Watching Me

I guess it is a good thing that all we basically watch on TV is sports and politics (the boys will turn on Family Guy until I walk into the room) as it makes the job of these data mining companies easier!  Van Doren Family = Sports (Giants/Yankees) and Politics, done.

The company mentioned in Colin's article, Rentrak, has interesting results from the final debate, who watched, where...

"Rentrak's television ratings measurement service provides daily measurement of all TV networks nationally and at a granular level for TV stations in all 210 media markets nationwide. The service incorporates information from over 20 million televisions and is the only fully integrated system of detailed satellite, telco and cable TV viewing data commercially available."

They're watching us watch! It is the same as when I go to the grocery store and everything I purchase is recorded and I receive coupons in the mail for the items I buy.  When I go on Facebook the advertisements that appear are oddly enough items or brands that I have purchased in the past!  At least it is not stalking in the standard way but electronic consumer stalking, hoping I will purchase something.  In November, it was a President.  A little creepy for me. I may just throw some odd show in thereat home now and again now.  Suggestions?


No comments:

Post a Comment