Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Pew State of the Media Report, Items #4 and #5

Item #4
From the Pew Report "More news outlets will move to digital subscriptions in 2012 — as a matter of survival." This is inevitable, and the paywall issue will be one to watch here.  Still, I cannot see myself on a Saturday or Sunday morning without my newspaper.  We pass the sections back and forth, discuss the articles and issues, laugh over Zits comic strip (having two teenage boys this one is on target), and the discussions continue with the boys at dinner.  I read the paper in no uncertain order, Pete reads in a definite order, and there are a few sections we each opt out of reading all together.  I like having the paper in my hands!


Item #5
Privacy Issues: From the Pew Report "As of early 2012, roughly two-thirds of the Internet population is uneasy with targeted advertising and search engines tracking their behavior."  This will be a very interesting issue as people want free access to technology and social media but gathering consumer data and targeted advertising must come into play somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment