Saturday, September 15, 2012

Pew State of the Media Report Item #1

Key Findings

AM/FM radios are second only to television as the medium most prevalent in people's lives?  I was surprised at first but when I think about my time, I listen to the radio when in the car, watch a little TV, read the newspaper, and access news via my computer.
I have listened to Pandora but not Spotify (my kids seem to know what this is) but, per the report, 40% of people listen to online-only services like these and that number is expected to double by 2015.

I was also surprised to read in the report that NPR saw its total listenership drop for the first time in years.  Not in the Pew report, but I am not surprised to find that NPR listeners are 27% more likely to own a breadmaker (guilty) and are also 78% more likely to get a massage (guilty again).  Could be the listeners are getting massages and baking bread more for the first time in years.  They seem to go hand in hand.

2 comments:

  1. My parents used to own a breadmaker; but it was so noisy; it sounded like a dryer with sneakers in it. I have to admit, that I don't know exactly what Spotify is either, which is probably unfortunate. I do have a beef, however, with NPR and Pandora, both relating to their requiring much patience from their listeners during the time that it takes to 'tune in' or load their stations. During my commutes I often lose my station frequencies, typically 90.5, and then it sometimes takes minutes to tune into a new station-- due to there being multiple NPR stations and their having differing programming. On Pandora, for some reason songs take up to minutes to load: minutes sometimes the length of full songs. Our default are Raffi cds. My daughter, who's three, never gets tired of singing 'down by the bay,' but we both get tired of NPR station hopping and static, and Pandora 'loading,' pop-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are teenagers now but Raffi was always a favorite! Peanut Butter Sandwich Made With Jam...

    ReplyDelete